Learn how to take notes effectively using the charting method.
What is charting?
When you use the charting note-taking method, you use a table or a spreadsheet structure to organise information into different categories or topics.
How does it work?
- Divide your page into separate columns.
- Give each column a heading or a label. Think about how you want to organise your notes to identify the most useful headings.
- Enter notes under the relevant column.
When would you use it?
- To help you prepare for exams, tests or tutorials.
- To make notes when you are reading for your assignments.
- To organise information so you can easily see relationships or make comparisons between different ideas or concepts.
Here is an example:
Download a PDF version of the Charting method.