Dictionaries can help clarify terms you are not familiar with, while encyclopedias can provide background knowledge on a topic or subject. Use the reference list from a dictionary or encyclopedia entry to find other resources.
How to find a dictionary or encyclopedia
Search the Catalogue:
- By title if you know a dictionary or encyclopedia.
- By keywords (e.g., dictionaries history) if you need to find resources on your subject.
Tip: It is better to use the plural (dictionaries or encyclopedias) when searching for a type of reference items.
How to find an individual reference entry
- From the Catalogue, select Articles and more from the drop down menu and enter keywords (e.g., climate change).
- Refine your results by selecting Reference entries under Format.
For more advice on dictionaries and encyclopedias:
- Use the Dictionaries and encyclopedias guide.
- Check your subject guide for any recommended dictionaries and encyclopedias by subject.